Aberavon Green Stars RFC is a Welsh rugby union team based in Aberavon. Aberavon Green Stars RFC plays in the Welsh Rugby Union, Division Five South Central League.
Aberavon Green Stars RFC and the Celtic Football Club were formed in the same season of 1887-1888. In a 1958 club publication, the local historian Will Rees speculated that the club was formed in 1897 in a small shop in Charlotte Street owned by Mrs. Donovan whose son was a great rugby enthusiast. But to quote the official history of the Welsh Rugby Union “Fields of Praise” published in 1984: “while the Irish community near Aberavon Beach formed the nucleus of St. Joseph`s RFC, formed in 1887, later to become the renowned Aberavon Green Stars RFC.” In fact the original name was Aberavon Green Stars RFC and it was not changed to St. Josephs RFC until season 1908-09.
The club was restarted in 1946 under the name of Port Talbot CYMS RFC with the first full season, in 1947-48.