Llangedwin (Llan-Gedwyn) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
LLANGEDWIN (LLAN-GEDWYN), a parish, in the poor-law union of Llanvyllin, Cynlleth and Mochnant division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 10 miles (W. S. W.) from Oswestry, and on the road from Shrewsbury to Bala; containing 332 inhabitants. This place was formerly a chapelry to Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant, but was separated from it by act of parliament, and formed into a parish of itself. It comprises 1219 acres, of which 162 are common or waste land. The village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Tanat; the neighbourhood abounds with pleasingly varied scenery, and contains some good mansions, the residences of respectable families: Llangedwin Hall, the property of Sir W. W. Wynn, Bart., is a handsome house with ample grounds tastefully laid out. Slate of good quality has been discovered within the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty; net income, £90; patron, Sir W. W. Wynn; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of St. Asaph: the tithes have been commuted for £235. 2., of which £3 are paid to the parish-clerk. The church, dedicated to St. Cedwyn, is a small neat edifice, surmounted by a cupola containing one bell. There is a day and Sunday National school. Mr. Strangeways, in 1730, bequeathed £100 to the poor, secured upon certain lands, the property of Sir Watkin Williams Wynn; the interest is annually paid, and distributed with some smaller bequests among such parishioners as are named by the clergyman and churchwardens. Mrs. Frances Williams Wynn, also, by will in 1803, left the sum of £100, vested in the three per cent. consols., the interest whereof provides coal at Christmas for poor families selected with the concurrence of the parochial officers; the coal is bought by the farmers, and delivered free of expense at the houses of the poor.