Llanllwch Carmarthen, Wales is a small hamlet that's around two miles west from the historical town of Carmarthen. Llanllwch has a Church (St Mary's) and its own bus service from the village to Carmarthen daily.
The name Llanllwch presumably recalls a lake or pool which is known to have existed in the vicinity in earlier times. Today the area is still marshy and a large tract of boggy land further to the west of Llanllwch is known as Llanllwch bog.
St Mary's Church, Llanllwch
St Mary's Parish Church was originally a chapel attached to St Peter's Church and, like St. Peter's was conferred on the Priory of St. John the Evangelist at Carmarthen in the early Middle Ages. Little is known of the church's history, but its original tower, probably dating from the fifteenth century, still remains standing, although the rest of the church has undergone much restoration. In his visitation of 1710 Archdeacon Tension reported the roof of St. Mary's to be 'intirely destroy'd' and the edifice to be 'disgus'd'.
The Vaughans of Derllys were closely associated with the church and were generous benefactors. One of the monuments in the church is in memory of John Vaughan of Court Derllys (Died 1722) who in his lifetime contributed largely towards the building of this chapel, and industriously promoted the same charitable disposition in others. The church was restored again in 1862 and 1865 when eisteddfodau in aid of the restoration fund were held in Carmarthen's market place.
St Mary’s church in Llanllwch was the place of worship of the Anglican Edwardes family, and various members of the family are commemorated there on two marble memorials dating from 1786 to 1866. The older memorial was erected by Charlotte Maria Picton, who was a daughter of Admiral David Edwardes . She was married to Revd. Edward Picton, the brother and heir of Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton GCB, who fell at the Battle of Waterloo . The two memorials (Pictured at right) are attached to the wall behind the family’s front pew in the church. A number of the family are interred in the family vault, which lies beneath the floor under the pew . Captain David John Edwardes 1787-1866 and his son Captain Frederick Augustus Edwardes 1829-1878 are buried in the churchyard behind the church.
Two marble monuments placed on the wall behind the front pew commemorate various members of the ancient Edwardes family of Rhyd-y-gors, whose remains are interred beneath, in their family vault. The earlier Edwardes monument dates back to 1786, when Thomas Edwardes, Second Son of Admiral David Edwardes RN, was laid to rest here. The monument was erected by his sister, Charlotte Maria Picton (nee Edwardes), the sister-in-law of Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton GCB (1758-1815), of Iscoed.
The Parish of Llanllwch
The Parish of Llanllwch was originally a part of the historic Parish of St. Peter. Since the boundaries of St. Peter's Parish formed the boundaries of the borough of Carmarthen, Llanllwch lay within the Borough. By an Order of the Queen in Council, dated November 10th, 1843, the old parish of St. Peter was divided into three districts: St. Peter's, St. David's and Llanllwch. Subsequently, In July 1857, these were formed into separate parishes. In 1974, under local government reorganization, the Borough of Carmarthen ceased to exist as such, but since its boundaries were retained, Llanllwch still remained within the authority of Carmarthen Town Council.
The Manor of Llanllwch
From Norman times the Llanllwch area formed part of the royal demesne lands attached to Carmarthen castle, supplying the latter with food and produce. In the fourteenth century, however, the demesne lands, sometimes referred to the Manor of Llanllwch (Manor Crescent + Manor Way), ceased to be worked directly from the castle and were farmed out for rent to customary tenants called ‘gabblers’ or ‘gafol-men’. They paid six-pence an acre for their holdings.
The Black Death
When the Black Death reached Llanllwch in 1349-50 all of the tenants except one died and the lands were left waste and uncultivated. Over fifty years later, during the rebellion of Owain Glyn Dwr, the hamlet was 'totally destroyed and devastated,' according to the castle Chamberlain's accounts of 1407-1409.
The Mill, Llanllwch (Medieval Water Mill)
Located outside the walls of Carmarthen Town were several water mills for grinding corn. The first reference to a mill at Llanllwch appears in 1300, but in the 'Minister's Accounts' for 1412-1413 the mill is referred to as being 'totally destroyed'. This destruction was also the result of the Owain Glyn Dwr revolt.