Welsh Icons - Historic Houses
Lleweni Hall

 

Lleweni Hall

 Back

 Previous

Next

Lleweni Hall (also referred to as Llewenny Palace) was the principal seat of the Salusbury Family from 1066 until 1748.

Early history
Lleweni was originally called Llysmarchweithian and was property that belonged to Marchweithian, a Welsh chieftain and one of the founders of the Fiveteen Tribes of Wales. It eventually fell into the hands of the Salusbury Family approximately around the time of the Norman Conquest during which it was awarded to Adam de Salusbury for his service to William the Conqueror. Although there was some sort of residence on the land that Lleweni stood upon since 720, Lleweni was first properly erected under the direction of the first Sir John Salusbury after having received new arms and a position in the court of Queen Elizabeth I in 1578.

Lleweni evolved into the seat of modern Welsh culture during the direction of Sir John, who established a court at Lleweni sometime in the late 16th century. He inscribed a list of festive songs in a book of Welsh poetry in the 1590s, but many academics questioned the legitimacy of these papers until well into the twentieth century. However, research soon discovered that Salusbury was both a close associate of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, as well as the brother-in-law of Ferdinando, Lord Strange, both of whom maintained their own company of players.

Later history and demolition
Lleweni Hall was a massive structure that had over an estimated 200 rooms according to Hester Piozzi. After the death of Piozzi's father, Sir John Salusbury, 4th Baronet of Lleweni, the structure fell into the hands of the Cotton Baronets who used it as their seat.

However, Lleweni was runinously expensive to upkeep, and finally Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere sold Lleweni to William Lewis Hughes, Baron Dinorben in order to pay off the debts of his father. Cotton would later regret selling Lleweni Hall immensely after having regained his fortune.

Hughes tore down Lleweni in order to build Kinmel Hall, which he did not live to see completed. Kinmell Hall, which was finally built in 1871 by descendents of Hughes, mimics the facade of Lleweni closely. However, one wing is still standing.

Owners of Lleweni Hall

  • Sir John Salusbury of Lleweni
  • After the execution of Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni in 1586, Lleweni passed to his brother;
  • Sir John Salusbury of Lleweni, (d. 1612), who married the daughter of Henry Stanley, 4th Earl of Derby. On his death Lleweni passed to his son;
  • Sir Henry Salusbury of Lleweni, 1st Bt. (d. 1632), then to his son;
  • Sir Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni, 2nd baronet** (d. 1643), then to his son;
  • Sir Thomas Salusbury of Lleweni, 3rd Bt. (d. 1658) and then to the 3rd baronet's brother;
  • Sir John Salusbury of Lleweni, 4th and last baronet, who died without issue in 1684. Lleweni then passed to his sister;
  • Hester Salusbury, wife of Sir Robert Cotton of Combermere and Lleweni, 1st baronet, who died in 1712. Lleweni then passed to his son;
  • Sir Thomas Cotton of Combermere and Lleweni, 2nd Bt. (d. 1715) and then to;
  • Sir Robert Salusbury Cotton, 3rd Bt. (d. 1748).
  • Briefly to Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere


 

[Home] [Artists] [Arts & Crafts] [Buildings] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Food & Drink] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Places] [Politicians] [Products] [Songs] [Sport] [Symbols] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [Welsh Produce] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Our Sponsors] [Contact Us] [Facebook Fans] [Welsh News] [Welsh Shop]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2010
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded
on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know. Email: Info@welshicons.org.uk

This Space
could be YOURS
From Just £10
a Month

Click Here to
Find Out More

Help us to keep
this Site up and running

 


Welsh News


Join us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter

 

 

Key

Bold Red
Internal Link
Red
External Link

                 Admission Charges
                 Address
                 Arts/Galleries
                 Buses
                 B&B’s/Guest Houses
                 Campsites/Caravans
                 Castles
                 Credit Cards
                 Cricket
                 Disabled Facilities
                 Email
                 Farmers Markets
                 Fax
                 Film
                 Food
                 Football
                 Parks/Gardens
                 Golf
                 Historic Houses
                 Hotels
                 Libraries
                 Museums
                 Opening Hours
                 Places of Worship
                 Pubs/Bars
                 Rugby
                 Shops/Gifts
                 Taxis:
                 Telephone No.
                 Theatres
                 Tourist Information
                 Trains
                 Vets
                 Web Address
                 Welsh Produce
                 Youth Hostels
                 llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or photograph(s)

 

Please help us to keep this site
running as a free resource