Pencoed (Pen-Coed) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
PENCOED (PEN-COED), a township, in the parish of Coychurch, union of Bridgend and Cowbridge, hundred of Newcastle, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Bridgend; containing 421 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies "the head of the wood," is situated near the South Wales railway, and on the road from Bridgend to Llantrissent, at a short distance from the right bank of the Ewenny river. It comprises 2045 acres, of which 481 are common or waste land. A cottage has been built for the poor, at the expense of £32, out of a sum of £47 left by two individuals; and a trifling sum is annually distributed among the poor, arising from a bequest by two other persons. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.