Welsh Icons - Towns & Villages
Penley

 

Penley

 Back

 Previous

Next

Photos Wanted

Do you have any photographs of this location we can use on the site?
Please email them along with a description to photos@welshicons.org.uk.
They will remain your copyright and you will be credited as the photographer.

Penley is a small village near Wrexham, in North East Wales, 3 miles from Overton-on-Dee. The village has a school, The Maelor School. It is part of the borough of  Wrexham.

The town was, until 1974, in an exclave of the traditional county of Flintshire known as Maelor Saesneg (English: "Saxon or English-speaking Maelor"), sometimes called "Flintshire Detached", and was its administrative centre. Between 1974 and 1996, Penley was in the short-lived county of Clwyd.

Penley lies on the path of the long-distance walk, the Maelor Way

Penley Polish Hospital
Penley is home to the Penley Polish Hospital, which closed in March 2002. It was managed by the North East Wales NHS Trust. The hospital was founded following a decree from Sir Winston Churchill after World War II, to care for Polish ex-servicemen who fought alongside the Allies in World War II, as well as their families, who settled in the area. As a result of this influx, the population of Penley increased threefold. Residents at the hospital and camp included the Polish military commander, Wacław Przeździecki. At its peak, in the early 1950s, the hospital housed more than 2,000 patients and staff. By the time it closed, in March 2002, there were 6 patients, in one ward (the only one remaining open out of the original 30).

Church and parish history
Penley Church was originally built in 1538. The timber structure was replaced by a brick one in 1793. This was demolished in 1893, and the current church was completed in 1899; it was consecrated in 1902, and dedicated to Mary Magdalene.

Penley was originally part of the parish of Ellesmere, but it became a separate parish towards the end of the Commonwealth period. In early 1661, it reverted to being part of the parish of Ellesmere, after the Restoration of Charles II. In 1860, it again became a separate parish.

It was then in the diocese of Lichfield until 1920, when following the disestablishment and disendowment of the Church in Wales, it was transferred to the diocese of St. Asaph, where it remains.

School
Penley has one school, The Maelor School. It was awarded the title of 'The most improved secondary school in North Wales' from the Curriculum Authority for Wales in 2006.


 Football in Penley: Penley FC


 Pubs/Bars in Penley:
 Dymock Arms
       Penley
       Wrexham
       LL13 0LS
 01948 830221


 Schools/Colleges in Penley:
 Madras Primary School
       Penley
       Wrexham
       LL13 0LU
 01978 710419

 The Maelor School (Secondary)
       Penley
       Wrexham
       LL13 0LU
 01948 830291
 www.maelorschool.org.uk


Penley - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
PENLEY, a chapelry, in the union of Ellesmere, in that part of the parish of Ellesmere which is in the hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, North Wales, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from the town of Ellesmere; containing 478 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Overton to Hanmer: the remainder of the parish is included in the hundred of Pimhill, county of Salop. There are several respectable residences in the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with the produce of £400, and a rent-charge of £30 per annum, both the gift of Lord Kenyon; net income, £143; patron, the Vicar of Ellesmere. The tithes have been commuted for £260, of which a sum of £235 is payable to an impropriator, and £25 to the vicar. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. A parsonage-house has been erected, the late Countess of Bridgewater, in whom the patronage of the living of the parish was vested, and Lord Kenyon, who is the principal landowner here, having contributed £100 each, and the Bounty Board and other subscribers various sums, towards the expense. There is a National day and Sunday school, supported by his lordship.



 

[Home] [Artists] [Arts & Crafts] [Buildings] [Entertainers] [Events] [Famous Welsh] [Food & Drink] [Journalists] [Musicians] [Places] [Politicians] [Products] [Songs] [Sport] [Symbols] [Writers] [Welsh Info] [Welsh Produce] [About Us] [Vox Pop] [Our Sponsors] [Contact Us] [Facebook Fans] [Welsh News] [Welsh Shop]

All copyrights acknowledged with thanks to Wikipedia. Another site by 3Cat Design 2006-2010
Whilst we try to give accurate information, we accept no liability for loss or incorrect information listed on this site or from material embedded
on this site from external sources such as YouTube.
If you do spot a mistake, please let us know. Email: Info@welshicons.org.uk

This Space
could be YOURS
From Just £10
a Month

Click Here to
Find Out More

Help us to keep
this Site up and running

 


Welsh News


Join us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter

 

 

Key

Bold Red
Internal Link
Red
External Link

                 Admission Charges
                 Address
                 Arts/Galleries
                 Buses
                 B&B’s/Guest Houses
                 Campsites/Caravans
                 Castles
                 Credit Cards
                 Cricket
                 Disabled Facilities
                 Email
                 Farmers Markets
                 Fax
                 Film
                 Food
                 Football
                 Parks/Gardens
                 Golf
                 Historic Houses
                 Hotels
                 Libraries
                 Museums
                 Opening Hours
                 Places of Worship
                 Pubs/Bars
                 Rugby
                 Shops/Gifts
                 Taxis:
                 Telephone No.
                 Theatres
                 Tourist Information
                 Trains
                 Vets
                 Web Address
                 Welsh Produce
                 Youth Hostels
                 llustration(s) or photograph(s) viewable Illustration(s) or photograph(s)

 

Please help us to keep this site
running as a free resource