Intrepid wildlife fans urged to explore beauty spotApr 12th, 2010 | By admin | Category: Environment, Swansea
Wildlife fans will soon have the chance to get under the skin of a Swansea nature reserve and catalogue its plant and animal life.
A 24-hour biodiversity blitz and ocean vigil is being held at the Bishop’s Wood Nature Reserve in Caswell and nearby coastal path from 5am on Saturday May 22 to 5am on Sunday May 23.
People of all ages are invited to take part and join experts in putting together an inventory of the reserve’s woodland and grassland species as well as the coastal and marine life along the shoreline.
Searches for bats, butterflies, moths, dawn chorus birds, lichens, elm trees, spiders, seaweed and shore fish are among those being organised.
Teams will leave from a central marquee area tasked with discovering and surveying particular kinds of plant and animal life.
Efforts are ongoing to secure a thermal vision camera to help with exploring in the darkness.
The event coincides with International Biodiversity Day and is being organised by Swansea Council’s Nature and Conservation Team and the Swansea Biodiversity Partnership.
Data collected during the event will be centrally collated by experts and sent onto relevant recording groups and SEWBREC (The South East Wales Biodiversity Records Centre).
The survey results will also be made available online and on the National Biodiversity Network Gateway.
Judith Oakley, of Swansea Council’s Nature and Conservation Team, said: “This event is one of only two in Wales and is the first time a thorough inventory of Bishop’s Wood and the nearby shoreline will have taken place.
“It’s very important because it will raise the profile of the rich range of wildlife right here on our doorstep and will encourage people to explore their local beauty spots and coastlines to see what they can find.
“People are often amazed by some of the plant and animal species they can come across in the UK and we hope as many people as possible come along to join in this exciting and educational event.”
Details of when particular searches are taking place over the 24 hours will be revealed closer to the time.
Enquiries can also be made by calling 01792 635784.
- Free arts day at Bishop’s Wood beauty spot Arts and crafts fun is available to the public in Bishop’s Wood Local Nature Reserve this weekend. The free event...
- Book your place on Swansea’s wildlife safari It mightn’t be home to lions and leopards but spiders and bats are among the creatures experts are looking for...
- Young poets find inspiration at Blaenau Gwent beauty spot School children from Brynmawr Comprehensive School, Blaenau Gwent, got up close and personal with the wildlife living on their doorstep...
- Explore festive seasons of yesteryear at history hub One of Swansea’s history hubs is giving people the chance to experience Christmas as it would’ve been celebrated in bygone...
- Police tackle off roaders in beauty spot A Neighborhood Policing team recently launched a new operation to address the illegal use of off road bikes and quad-bikes...