Community radio stations to receive funding to the tune of £100,000Apr 12th, 2012 | By admin | Category: Media, WAG
Community radio stations are small-scale, not-for-profit stations operated for the good of members of the public, or of particular communities, and in order to deliver social gain.
Eight community radio stations were chosen for their commitment to the communities they serve. They were assessed in a number of areas, including; promoting training and social enterprise for excluded and vulnerable people, encouraging healthy lifestyles, and strengthening cultural and linguistic identity.
Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage, Huw Lewis said,
“I am pleased we are able to provide support to these radio stations which play a vital role in reflecting the issues affecting people living in their communities. They also provide opportunities for residents to gain new skills and in some cases employment. Many are doing good work in promoting healthy lifestyles, the Welsh language and social enterprise. I would also like to add my personal congratulations to all those who do such a sterling job in ensuring these stations continue to thrive and entertain.”
The eight radio stations that were awarded grants are:
- GTFM in Pontypridd will receive £16,000
- BRFM in Blaenau Gwent will receive £16,500
- Tudno FM in Llandudno will receive £13,400
- Point FM in Rhyl will receive£10,000
- Calon FM in Wrexham will receive £18,000
- Radio Cardiff will receive £5,500
- Tircoed will receive £5,500
- Bro Radio in the Vale of Glamorgan will receive £15,000.
- Local Radio Stations Boosted by Grant Money Plaid Cymru AM Chris Franks has welcomed a cash injection for two local radio stations in his South Wales Central...
- £94,000 funding for valleys radio A valleys radio station has secured over £94,000 to continue broadcasting across Rhondda Cynon Taf thanks to a grant from...
- Funding Boost for Neath Port Talbot Radio Station A Neath Port Talbot radio station has won a share £100,000 in a Welsh Assembly Government fund. XS radio received...
- Strong RAJAR results for Radio Wales and Radio Cymru Both of BBC Cymru Wales’ radio stations are attracting more listeners across Wales, according to new RAJAR (Radio Joint Audience...
- Strong RAJAR results for BBC Radio Wales and Radio Cymru BBC Radio Wales’ listening figures are at their highest level in four years according to the latest RAJAR (Radio Joint...