Colin Montgomerie to visit NewportMay 30th, 2010 | By admin | Category: Children / Young People, Newport, What's On
Europe’s Ryder Cup Captain Colin Montgomerie will make a special appearance in Newport’s city centre on Tuesday June 1.
With just four months until the start of The Ryder Cup, Colin will visit the Museum, Library and Art Gallery situated on John Frost Square in Newport’s city centre at 12 noon. He will visit the children’s library where he will read an extract from his favourite children’s book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
Following Colin’s reading, library staff will share lots of other exciting stories plus there will be a special Harry Potter competition.
Leader of Newport City Council, Cllr Matthew Evans, said: “2010 is an important year for Newport and its residents and we are looking forward to welcoming Europe’s Ryder Cup Captain, Colin Montgomerie, to the city on Tuesday.
“I am sure many youngsters are looking forward to meeting and hearing Colin. I really appreciate the fact that Colin has found time in his busy schedule to visit the city ahead of the tournament in October.”
Before leaving Newport, Colin will sign a specially created golf-themed SuperDragon in the foyer of the Museum, Library and Art Gallery. The SuperDragons project is part of the Newport Festival 2010 – a year-long celebration of the city with numerous events and activities designed to get people feeling good about the city.
The SuperDragons is set to be one of the major highlights of the festival and will see 50 five-foot high fibre glass statues painted and decorated by local artists placed around the city and surrounding area creating a colourful trail for residents and visitors to follow. The SuperDragons trail will start on July 19 and last until October 9.
The golf-themed SuperDragon has been specially commissioned to mark Newport being the host city for The 38th Ryder Cup and features the European, USA and Welsh flags.
Children are invited to come along to the event on Tuesday 1 June and to be at the library for 11.45am.
For more information on the event please contact the Museum, Library and Art Gallery on 01633 656656
- Birth of a New Era in the History of the City of Newport at Lydia Beynon Maternity Hospital William Graham (Conservative AM for South Wales East) at the opening of the Ryder Cup is pleased to announce the...
- Newport reaps Ryder Cup rewards Newport has received millions of pounds worth of investment thanks to The Ryder Cup. As host city, Newport has been...
- Newport libraries launch new online functions Newport Libraries has unveiled its new event programme which is available online for the first time. You can easily and...
- SuperDragons looking for new homes After 10-weeks of bringing a splash of colour to the city, Newport’s SuperDragons will now be auctioned at the Riverfront...
- Graham: Ebbw Vale to Newport Rail Link Needed to Take Advantage of Redeveloped Newport Train Station Speaking at the Official Opening of the redeveloped Newport Station this morning, William Graham AM: ‘I welcome the redevelopment of...