The Diocese of Swansea and Brecon was established as a Diocese of the Church in Wales in 1923 with Brecon Priory as the Cathedral. The Diocese has a border with five other Welsh Dioceses, as well as with the English Diocese of Hereford.
Edward Latham Bevan was made Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of St David's as Bishop of Swansea in 1915, and in 1923 he was elected as the first Bishop of the new Diocese.
The current Bishop of The Swansea and Brecon Diocese is The Right Reverend John Davies. He was elected as Bishop of Swansea and Brecon on 29 January 2008. Prior to being elected he was the Dean of Brecon Cathedral.
The current Archdeacons of The Swansea and Brecon Diocese are:
- Brecon = The Venerable Randolph Thomas.
- Gower = The Venerable Robert Williams.
Former Bishops of the Diocese
- Edward Latham Bevan: 1923 - 1934
- John Morgan: 1934 - 1939
- Edward William Williamson: 1939 - 1953
- William Glyn Hughes Simon: 1954 - 1957