Sully (Sulwy) - From 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' (1849)
SULLY (SULWY), a parish, in the poor-law union of Cardiff, hundred of Dinas-Powys, county of Glamorgan, in South Wales, 6½ miles (S. S. W.) from Cardiff; containing 144 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel, by which it is bounded on the south; and nearly opposite to a small island of the same name. It comprises 1679 acres, of which 214 are common or waste. The Scottish system of agriculture, introduced here by Mr. Thomas, of Sully House, who is regarded as one of the best agriculturists in South Wales, is generally adopted in the parish, and has succeeded well. The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £11. 9. 9½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Thomas; present net income, £250. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a neat edifice, kept in excellent repair; and adjoining it is a handsome parsonage-house. A small school is supported by subscription; the mistress has a salary of £10 per annum, and attached is a library furnished by the clergyman. Mr. John Howel, in 1775, beqeathed £10 to the poor not receiving parochial relief; but nothing is now known of this charity. The Rev. Mr. Conybeare, who has so greatly distinguished himself by his geological researches, was lately incumbent.